There existed plans for a "Festspielhaus" in Munich. However, as long as Wagner lived they were not carried out. The new director, Ernst von Possart, initiated 1895 this project supported by the Wagner Society Munich. The building was erected in spite of Cosima Wagners opposition with the help of substantial private donations. The interior structure and decoration are a smaller "copy" of the Festspielhaus in Bayreuth. The opening took place on August 20, 1901 with a performance of "Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg". From 1944 until 1963 the "Prinze" was the home of the Bavarian State Opera. It was re-opened in 1996 after an expensive long lasting renovation. Today it is a place for many interesting performances. The Theatre-Academy August Everding uses it too as its main play area.